Saturday, December 5, 2015

NYC - Week 5















I can't believe it has already been about 5 weeks since we've been in New York City! It has gone by so fast. This past week was really fun. But when is it not fun being in the city?! We started off with church and going to brunch after with Kylee and Scott at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park. We had the best seats near the window overlooking the water. It was such a pretty view!

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent catching up on things. It rained a few of those days as well so it was difficult to go and explore around the city. But Thursday was the HIGHLIGHT of my week!!! I won tickets to The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon!!! Best day of my life. I am obsessed with Jimmy Fallon and love watching his show. I saw that they do "Tickets at 12" where every Thursday they give out 2 VIP tickets to the show that night. An intern snaps a photo on Snapchat to show where she is hiding in the city and you have to go find her with the tickets right at noon. It's like a treasure hunt! So I decided I would give it a shot. I started walking toward 5th Ave a little before noon just guessing that the intern would be somewhere on that street. Lo and behold she posts that she is at the New York Public Library steps so I started booking it! I was only 3 minutes away so I actually thought I had a chance to get these tickets. The craziest thing was I saw another girl running near me and I totally passed her up. It was pretty epic! And I made it to the intern before anyone else! She said, "Congratulations - you won tickets to Jimmy Fallon!" I couldn't even believe it! I was breathing so hard after sprinting and almost cried because I was just in complete shock. And so happy! It seriously made my day. After going home, I was trying to convince Dave to ditch his day of training to come with me to the show. But since it was too risky and he didn't want to miss any work, I took my friend Katie instead. We had a blast going together! The show was SO MUCH FUN! That night Jimmy interviewed Mindy Kaling and Daisy Ridley, with Gwen Stefani performing at the end. I laughed so hard during the show. The best part was I GOT TO HUG JIMMY!!!!!!!! I wanted to get a high-five but instead a got a hug - even better! I was pretty much on Cloud 9.

That night I watched the show live, and saw myself on TV, even the part where I hugged Jimmy! I got my camera out and took a picture of it. So classic. The whole day was just so surreal - winning the tickets, going to the show, hugging Jimmy and getting on TV. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect Tonight Show experience! What a day!

My parents then came to town on Friday morning. We started the day off getting bagels at Ess-a-Bagel which is the best bagel place near our apartment. We then walked over to the Rockeffeler Center to see the big Christmas tree, shop around 5th Avenue, and see the Plaza Hotel. We ate lunch at the Plaza Food Hall which was cool. Then we walked across the street to Central Park and walked around there for a while. Then we headed toward Times Square to the TKTS ticket booth to see if we could get broadway show tickets for Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder. We got our tickets and headed home. Dave got off early so we went to dinner at Roberta's in Urbanspace (a nice cafeteria type place) which had yummy pizza. The main Roberta's restaurant is in Brooklyn but it was still cool to try it at Urbanspace. Then we walked straight to the show. It was a silly show if you're in that mood! I liked it but didn't love it. I am more into the dancing type musicals.

Saturday we slept in since we were all so tired from the day before. We decided to go to brunch at Sarabeth's in TriBeca since we wanted to shop around SoHo during the day. I love that restaurant so much! They have great brunch. We browsed through some stores in SoHo, walked down Canal street, got yogurt at the Chobani shop, and just enjoyed walking around. We then ate dinner at Osteria Morini which had great Italian food. I had this ricotta ravioli which was amazing. We then headed to Bryant Park to see the Christmas tree and the Winter Village with all the Christmas shops they have up. We tried the Max Brenner thick hot chocolate which was good but SUPER rich. I don't think I'm a thick hot chocolate fan. I like creamy, thin hot chocolate. I am a chocolate lover though! We then headed home and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment