Saturday, November 14, 2015

NYC - Week 2







Here we are at the end of Week 2 of our 7-week adventure in NYC! I can't believe it has already been two full weeks since we've been here. We are really enjoying our time here so far. Dave is liking his training and his hours haven't been that bad. I have been enjoying working remotely on freelance projects and having free time to go explore and see what the city has to offer.

Sunday was our first time going to the ward. Everyone we met there was really nice. Dave and I actually knew a few people from BYU that are in the ward. It is always fun to see familiar faces! That day we just hung out and went to dinner in the evening. Nothing too exciting.

Monday was catch up day for laundry, errands, and cleaning. Tuesday the same thing and it also rained. I usually go out on walks since there is so much to see in our part of town. We love our neighborhood. It's called Murray Hill but is technically in the Midtown East area. We are close to everything which is nice.

Wednesday was pretty fun. I went to SoHo to shop around and explore. We had better weather on this day so it was nice to get outside. I got things done in the morning and headed out for a few hours. I went into some cool shops - Birchbox, MoMa Gift Store, Anthropologie (of course), Chobani, and Laduree Macarons (obviously). I seriously LOVE SoHo. It is such a charming and cute place to walk around, shop, and eat. I could spend hours there.

On Thursday, Dave and I tried a good bagel spot called Ess-a-bagel in Midtown for breakfast. I had a raisin bagel with plain cream cheese and Dave had a plain bagel with sundried tomato cream cheese. This place was SO good. For some reason I had been craving a good New York bagel ever since we got here. And this place definitely satisfied that craving!

Friday I met up with friend Deb from BYU for brunch. We went to The Butcher's Daughter and had their kale chips and avocado toast which was amazing. We walked around SoHo after and Deb took me to all these trendy stores that were way out of my budget. But it was so fun to check them out. I then came home and rested. Dave texted me in the afternoon asking if I wanted to meet people from his training at a happy hour after they did a scavenger hunt activity. I decided to head over and enjoyed meeting some people from his training group. Dave and I then walked over to The Smith which is a restaurant we've been wanting to try. I failed to mention that earlier on this day I was having a really bad toothache on the right side of my cheek. The entire week I had a tooth that had been bothering me and was sensitive, but the pain would be off and on. It wasn't until Friday where it was hurting more than ever. As soon as we got to The Smith, I was in so much pain. It was hard to get through dinner. I felt like I was a complaining, annoying old grump and was grateful for Dave's patience with me.

We headed home and I actually was in so much pain that I didn't know what to do. I had taken 6 Advil at that point and nothing was helping the pain. I kept bugging my dad, who is a dentist, on what I should do about this really bad toothache. He mentioned I am probably just grinding my teeth at night and it's causing the pain in my jaw and cheek. I also called my mother-in-law who was a dental hygienist to get a second opinion. She didn't know what it could be either but said to ice it if the heated towel I was using didn't help. The ice seemed to numb the pain for a little bit but the pain would come back quickly. It was probably the worst pain I have ever been in. I couldn't open my eyes or focus on anything. It was like the pain of a really bad ear ache combined with a really bad head ache. I realized that I had a similar pain a few years ago when I had to get a root canal on my lower back molar. I was nervous and panicked that this is what I had to get done on the upper right tooth that was aching. I didn't sleep at all that night, except for maybe a few hours sitting up in bed. It was miserable. I then woke up and got ready and prepared like I was going to the ER. But I still had a feeling it could be a root canal and that I needed to see an endodontist. I looked online for the nearest endodontist that is open as early as possible on a Saturday. Miraculously I found a place that was only a few blocks away and was open at 8am! I was so happy to have found this out. I woke Dave up at 7:30 and we got ready to go to the endodontist. Once we arrived, I was immediately calm and felt like this was where I needed to be to stop this pain. The staff there was so nice. I met the doctor who was the nicest man, so caring and personable. He did a few tests on me to make sure we had the right tooth. After a few x-rays, he explained that I will need a root canal on that tooth not just to stop the pain but because the nerve at the root of the tooth was inflamed. He said they could get it done right then and there. I was honestly not happy to hear that news, and felt relieved that we finally found out what was causing that excruciating, constant pain I had in the right side of my face for the last 15 hours.

Because we didn't have dental insurance, I wanted to talk to Dave before we made a final decision to go through with the procedure. After a few phone calls, we decided it was best to get this done now and not wait. So I went through with the root canal. It was a pleasant experience actually. I got to be distracted by watching "Serendipity" while they operated on my tooth. It was about an hour long of a procedure but went by fast. It was only painful a few times but wasn't too bad overall. I was so happy that the procedure went well. Dave was so supportive of me and waited in the lobby for me. I felt so happy that the pain was finally gone!!! That was the biggest thing for me. I didn't want to feel any more pain. It was gone in an instant.

I am so grateful for the tender mercy I had of finding the right doctor, which was only a few blocks away, that happened to be open on a Saturday at 8am, and was able to fit me in to their schedule to get the root canal done that day! I honestly couldn't believe how things fell into place.

So that was a crazy start to our Saturday morning, and weekend. We took naps after my procedure and then met up with our friends Jennie and Eric who live in Connecticut. We met up in Little Italy at this restaurant called Da Nico which we heard was good. We all had pasta and enjoyed each other's company. We then headed over to Ferrara Bakery and Cafe which is a place I wanted to try. They had such pretty desserts and pastries, it was hard to choose! I got gelato and Dave got a cannoli. It was 40 degrees that night and I was walking around with ice cream, ha! But it was so worth it. It was nice to not be in pain and just enjoy hanging out with our friends. We then headed home and got to bed early.

And that's a wrap for the week! Although not a super exciting week, and an unfortunate ending, we are so happy to be here in one of our favorite cities. Can't wait to live it up in the next 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment